<VV> Gordonsville VA Veterans' Day parade

Mike Jacobi mvjacobi at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 21:49:19 EST 2011

In some places we do some observance.  Unfortunately not many observe the
moment of silence.  Nor do I recall radio or tv stations taking any special
note...mores the pity.  Nothing at all the way they do it in Canada.  I
thought I'd take the vair out to see if any old timers need a ride in any
vets day parade, after ceremonies in a couple f local cemetarie.  As a
Vietnam Vet and a bagpiper, I try to make as much of a rememberance as I can

Mike in Michigan

On 11/10/11 7:30 PM, "Matt Nall" <patiomatt at aol.com> wrote:

In Canberra Australia, it is just past 11 am on Friday 11/11/11.  We have
> just
observed on the radio the (British) tradition of the reading of the Ode
> to the
Fallen followed by the Last Post and a minute's silence for Armistice
> Day (the
official end of WW1 - the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the
> eleventh
month).  Many wear a red poppy for remembrance.  The Prime Minister
> lays a
wreath at the War Memorial here in Canberra.  Do you observe Armistice
> (aka
Remembrance) Day in the USA?  Is the veterans' parade in honour of the
> same
thing?

Chris Gallagher
Canberra Australia
1964 Monza
> coupé

 We sure do!  It's
> called Veterans Day....  All wars, any who have served in the Military at any
> time..

  Sorta Dilutes the focus... in my opinion...  should only be
> veterans of combat.

 We also have Memorial Day in May... where we honor all
> who have fallen, and Red Poppies abound...

Matt Nall
Charleston,
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages