<VV> Towingr

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Nov 11 08:55:05 EST 2011

On 11/11/2011 12:46 AM, shortle wrote:

> The 1 thing no one has mentioned on this (long) post Ray is the law. In California (my home for 45 years) and in Colorado (my home for 6 years) any vehicle that touches a road or highway MUST be currently registered and insured. I suspect many if not every other state has the same laws.

Yes, this is true to a greater or lesser extent in every state.
However, these are laws that are not actively enforced unless you call
attention to yourself -- by towing with inadequate equipment, driving
dumbly, et al.

I have flat towed through at least ten states over the years, almost
always towing an unregistered inop, and never had so much as a
conversation with an officer of the law.  Reason:  Substantial tow
vehicle in good condition, substantial tow bar hooked up correctly, with
safety chains (I have had officers pass me, slow down to look at my
setup, then continue on), good tires on what I am towing, and so on.

Some years back a buddy was keeping his Yenko Stinger in his
girlfriend's garage.  She decided to dump him, and wanted the car gone
NOW.  So an emergency late night tow was necessary.  I lent him my tow
bar, he installed a front bumper on the otherwise completely
disassembled Stinger, and off he went in the night.  No lights at all on
the Stinger, so I followed him and made sure that no one got between us.

A cop stopped him.  The Stinger was unregistered, did not even have an
engine (there was a "dummy drivetrain" in the car), had no lights, no
glass, it was midnight and we were on a four-lane highway.  I just sat
in my car while my buddy 'splained the situation.  Once the cop heard
the story of the girlfriend and realized that I was acting as wingman,
he let us continue on our way!

--Name Withheld <grin!>