<VV> Intent or Not

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Mon Nov 14 15:45:21 EST 2011

Guilty until proven innocent.
Your exact situation happened to one of my sons a couple of years ago.  I figured the cop was just too lazy to chase down the speeder or too lazy to pay attention to who was really doing it.
Back in the late 80s in Denton, TX a cop stopped me and gave me 6 tickets.  He claimed I was going 20+ over the speed limit even though I was in bumper to bumper traffic that was barely flowing along at the speed limit.  He gave me tickets for expired tags, inspection, no seat belt and a couple of other things that were blatantly false.  I went to court and lost, appealed all 6 to the county court and lost and then appealed them  to the district court.  I still haven't heard anything on them.  They got a lot of my time but none of my money.
I went to court on a ticket in Denton, TX once where the judge told the jury she would hold them in contempt of court if they found me not guilty.  Needless to say I lost that one.  I couldn't afford the time off work to fight it through all the court dates.
I got a ticket in Southlake, TX about 10 years ago for making a right turn from a shoulder on a 55mph highway.  This is perfectly legal in TX.  I looked up the "law" and took a copy to court with me.  It took me half an hour of arguing to get them to drop the ticket.  They offered to reduce the fine.  They finally did drop it but it wasn't easy.