<VV> differentials

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 17 10:41:44 EST 2011

All good questions Ray. And lots of answers. As far as PGs are concerned, '61-63 diffs are pretty much the same and certainly interchangeable. A '64 diff can easily be put into a '61-63 but the case is different for '64 due to the rear spring mount. So a '61-63 cannot be put into a '64. These are for cars, not FCs. Any '61-64 diff. can be installed in an FC. But then you have the (minor) issue of the diff dipstick which '64 had. And the same goes for manuals.
And on lates, all (pg) '65-'69 are interchangeable. But '66-'69 used a larger bolt and clamp to attatch the axle. '65 had a diff dipstick but not '66-'69. On manual trans lates, '65 had 4 bolts holding the (smaller) trans. '66-'69 used 6 bolts to hold the (bigger) "Saginaw" trans.
I am sure there are more differences before even talking about gear ratios. Earlies used 6 bolts to hold the ring gear to the carrier, lates used 9 bolts.
I know nothing about 1960 Corvairs so I don't mention them.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado 81301