<VV> ran when parked engine comp. test

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 00:38:09 EST 2011

You would be surprised at what can be brought back to life without being
opened up.  Takes a mixture of determination, patience, turning (once
loose - not a problem here), your favorite concoction of MMO, LW, ATF,
whatever, maybe even rotation (over time) of the entire engine on the stand.
Did I mention patience?

Once things are feeling free by hand turning, you can start thinking about
actually running it.  Be prepared for LOTS of smoke for several minutes.  It
is not DOA unless you decide that it is - but it might be an oil
burner/pusher for a while.  A compression test AFTER it is made to run will
tell you something - a hell of a lot more than the one you did in your
"test".

Later, JR