<VV> welding up drilled spot welds

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Mon Nov 28 19:05:47 EST 2011

Hello Ramon,
First, how did you "drill" out the spot welds?   If you used a drill,
that was your first mistake.  Do a Google check for "Spot Weld Cutter"
or grinder and you will find nice cutter bits that will allow grinding
or cutting out just the spot weld and not drill a hole into the mating
panel.   You might need to mount the cutter in a spot weld cutter tool,
or you might be able to get by using a router and carefully adjust the
depth so you only get through the first layer of metal paneling.  If you
are too late, usually it is possible to use the flux core wire feed to
fill in drilled holes.   You might practice on the removed panel until
you get so you can just fill the hole and then take a grinder to grind
it down so it is flat again.  You might also take a couple of scrapped
panels and practice "stitching" them using the flux core welder to weld
up the spots.   If you are not going to use a spot welder, then you
might want to drill extra holes in the top panel so you can get extra
attachment with your welds.   Check for weld penetration on your
practice panels and see how well they are attached.

For the new panel, you might consider using POR-15 like you might do for
a rusted floor panel repair.   This works well for panels that are
getting very thin due to rust and welding on them usually just gets them
warped due to the added heat.   For panels that are not very noticeable,
POR-15 is a much quicker approach and no panel warping will happen.

I might add that the POR-15 is a GREAT way to repair rusted Late front
windshield channels.   I used the fiberglass mesh (very similar to
window screening mesh) and used a little POR-15 to seal the holes in the
channel bottom, then using more POR-15, built it up and then I was DONE!
    MUCH faster and easier to repair it than to remove an entire section
of paneling and welding and still having to worry about the new panel
channel rusting out once again.

Larry