<VV> More "Volt-age"

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Nov 30 00:55:12 EST 2011

In a message dated 11/29/2011 9:06:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
corvairduval at cox.net writes:

While  the "electric car" commercials show the great gas mileage, has
anyone
>> seen what their electric bill was for the same period,  adjusted for
increase
>> due to charging batteries  ?
>>
>> In SoCal, air conditioners can easily quadruple  electric costs,
(anywhere
>> from 8 to 33 cents per KwHr, whereas  upstate NY may be 1/3 of that), so
what does  having to feed an electric car add to that cost?

Well we installed a large Solar generating system. (Tied to PGE to  run
down our bills, I have no storage.) It has really dropped our monthly  electric
bills. The ROI is way out there, but the money was just in the bank
anyway. We could charge a car at night, drive our 24 mile round trip to our  jobs
and not use much gas if any. But that 30+K initial cost is a bit of a  chunk
to bite off, (though the lease terms look okay) but we won't be  working
forever, just a few more years. I think if I was buying that size of car
right now, it would be a Cruze turbo, not the Volt. Right now I'm not in  the
market. Too many cars as it is!

Seth Emerson