<VV> Wheel studs for IROC-Z wheels on a Vair

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:29:35 EDT 2011

I'm in the process of purchasing a set of 16" IROC-Z wheels for my '67
coupe. Since these rims are thicker than the steel wheels, I am looking at
replacing the Corvair wheel studs, but I don't want to switch to the metric
studs. I'm finding the replacement stud decision is a little tougher than I
first imagined it would be. So far, I've found that the factory studs are
1.5" in length with an 11/32" shoulder and a knurl diameter of 0.472".
Dorman sells a set (610-157) that is 2.125" in length, which is near perfect
length, but the knurl diameter is 0.487". How hard would this be to pull
through the existing Corvair (0.472") holes (0.015 interference)? My other
option is a Mr. Gasket (4310G) set of studs that is 2.625" long with a knurl
diameter of 0.480" (0.008 interference).

For those of you running IROC-Z rims, what did you do to engage more than 3
threads?

Thanks,

George Jones
Eastern Division Director,
Corvair Society of America (CORSA)
Performance Corvair Group
Central Florida Corvair Club (Since 2009)
Tidewater Corvair Club (since 1987)
Central Virginia Corvair Club (since 2006)
CORSA (since 1987)
'65 Monza Crown V8 Convertible
'66 Monza Coupe Custom