<VV> engine room noise through quarter window opening

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:36:44 EDT 2011

Jim,

     I've seen you write about that stuff before.. even went to lowes and
home depot looking for it but they didn't have it.  What I soundproofed my
car with is VERY similar but sold for automotive purposes.. the one I bought
is called "Fat-mat".  Next time I order I'm going to compare prices between
the peel and stick and Fat-mat and order whichever makes more sense.

     I did not install any of the stuff inside the quarters or doors (on the
back of the skins) and maybe that is where I went wrong.  I did completely
cover the inside of those areas right behind where the trim panels are, and
completely sealed off all the openings in the process.  The noise I'm
hearing is coming up through the gap where the window rolls up and down.  I
know all my cars suffer from near 50 year old seam sealer shrinking and
getting brittle since none of mine are fancy expensive restorations.

     On another related note, some folks commented a while back that they
were concerned about the asphalt smell from that stuff when the car gets
hot.  I can attest that first the stuff sold for the automotive use smells
just as strongly as the roofing stuff (it's nearly identical material), and
second after a full season of use in very hot weather I've never once
smelled the slightest hint of the stuff.... and I went looking for it.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez