<VV> Safety Lighting Features for pre 1967 Cars

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 02:06:33 EST 2012

                                                                                            B"H
HI all..hope everyone is well.  Two safety features that were introduced on '67 Corvairs (and all US-market cars, actually) include 4 way flashers, and parking lights that illuminate with the headlights.  I assume the latter is useful if a headlight goes out; at least in the dark no one will think you're riding a Harley!
By using cheap diodes available from Radio Shack, I was able to add these two features to my 66 Monza without very little work needed (once the instrument cluster is removed).  The diodes allow one way flow of electricity, so by connecting a single diode to the headlight and parking light wires going from the headlight switch, the parking lights go on with the headlights, but when the parking lights (only) are selected (first detent on the switch), the headlights don't go on.
For the four way flashers, you need three diodes, the "from" sides on all three diodes go to the battery via a switch, and the "to" sides connect  1) to the brake lights 2) to the left front turn signal, and 3) to the right front turn signal.  When the turn signals or brake lights are activated, they perform exactly as before.  There is no interconnection or cross-wiring that would send power to a lamp when it wasn't wanted.  Other than the four diodes (total cost: less than $4), wires and a switch, the only other thing you need is a normal 4-way flasher, available at any FLAPS.
I can provide more details as to how to wire up the system if you like.
Best regards...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C