<VV> diff tips

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Mon Jul 1 07:21:32 EDT 2013

The way I do it: first step is drain and CLEAN it. Then try to get or make
tools for side and pinion sleeves.
I have found that heating the side sleeves with a torch (map gas works ok)
breaks the bond of the o rings quicker , saving stress on the teeth of the
sleeves.
I put a mark on the case and sleeve in the area of the lock tab, 2 on one
side sleeve and case , one on the other, and pinion where lock tab goes. I
use  one of the self automatic punches. after getting it apart , pray for all
 bearings being ok! , if not , you may have to readjust the settings
slightly.
 I always use the full kit from Clarks with his "bulletproof" sleeve  and 2
shaft seals. Hardest part for me is a good draining , cleaning , but I
feel it is very  important. Wash and look at all bearings for color
differences or gauling. You should use a press and blocks , NOT a hammer. I hope  this
helps you. It is not the complete story , but a good part of it. Maybe look
 to your closest shop for help (ranch?)  do not use a hammer !! (last  one
here was a total from bad work)
http://corvair.de/n2vzd/#fc_powertrain
regards, Tim Colson