<VV> Why no history presentation at the convention?

lonwall@corvairunderground.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Tue Jul 23 15:12:38 EDT 2013

Just my speculation - It's 2013 - They're all dead.

Well....not literally, but probably close.  That still leaves a lot of
historic stuff around. In one of my hobbies, the Western Wood products
industry (logging etc) literally everyone from the "steam age' IS dead -
most LONG dead. Never the less we manage to put interesting day long
conventions that are historical.

I think the reminder here is that someone has to see it done. From my
past experiences most convention goers expect to show up, pay their fees
and be entertained - by someone else. Little regard is paid to the fact
that the local volunteers putting on the event are doing it for free.
And if there are inadequate volunteers there may very well be an
inadequate convention.

I think that has nothing to do with Kalamazoo this year (all online
reports I've seen have been positive - GREAT! but not always the case)
and I don't criticize anyone for bringing a matter like this up either.
I'm sure the board, Mike and Harry and the future convention committees
are glad to hear about ways to improve or maintain interest in our
Internationals.

But someone still has to do it.

Lon Wall
Past Western Board member