<VV> Histoy Presentations

ricebugg at comcast.net ricebugg at comcast.net
Tue Jul 23 16:19:35 EDT 2013

All:  The presentations at Daytona in 2000 was planned and indeed paid for by two of the then CPF Staff Committee members.  Other than providing time and location, SFAIK, the Daytona convention staff had nothing to do with it.  That presentation also included Jerry Thompson, winner of the 1967 SCCA D-Production National Championshop at Daytona in a Yenko Stinger.  I remember it well, as I interviewed him in front of youall.

I believe the Iowa presentation was also a CPF inspired and executed program, although Seth actually conducted the session.

The most recent Detroit convention had two speakers IIRC.  I believe CPF had its finger prints on the session, but Ken Hand can better answer that question.  One speaker was Jim Musser, who was a VP of Chevrolet R&D.  It was his efforts to come to a understanding of weight distribution and handling which produced the three Corvair powered chassis which were turned over to GM Design's Bill Mitchell when R&D was done with them.  Mitchell produced the Monza GT, Monza SS and the Astro I using those chassis.  Someone else also spoke at that session, but I don't recall his name.  I think he was from one of the styling studios.  Don't remember there being a lot of Corvair content in his talk.  But then, Musser was the main draw for me, as he had a lot of involvement in Jim Hall's Chaparral program.  I visited Musser's shop the next day....

Chuck Jordan spoke at a the GWFBT one year, which was a local convention in S.California.

I do not know who arranged for David E. Davis to speek at Lexington.  Sounds like a CPF inspired gig.  I did not arrive in time to hear him.

All of those speeches were recorded and printed up in the Communique.  I could dig up the issues...but not today.

Don't know who arranged Dollie Cole to attent the Iowa Convention.

Back before CPF:
Someone from GM spoke at the late 70's Minninsota Convention in place of Bill Mitchel.  Not worth the bother.  Doug Roe spoke at the 1st Denver Convention in the early 80's, which we do not have, and Don Yenko Spoke at I think the Philly Convention, which we do have on paper.  I think we also have R.Nadar's speech from the Balimore (?) Convention.

But the convention speeker we do not have a text of and really should have was Frank Winchell's speech at the Detroit Convention in 1979.   It was very enlightening.  I was sitting at the table with CORSA first Exec-Sec Hal Marcus and first paid editor Al Alderman (sp?).  According to Hal, the GM PR department wrote him a speech.  Which he trashed canned, and spoke from his heart.  The PR folks didn't have a clue what he was going to say, and were scared to death.   I was told at the time someone named Dave from the Pacific NW recorded it, but SFAIK, it has never been transcribed.  That is one speech somebody ought to fight tooth and nail to get a transcription of.

To answer Bill's question, I assume there was no guest speaker because there was no one willing or able to work that idea.  I suggested to Harry the idea of Karl Ludvigsen as a speeker, He is a K-zoo native, but flying him in from England would be expensive!  Beside's he is busy writing another book on the Corvette.  David Cole, Ed Cole's son comes to my mind as a potential speaker.  Last I knew, he lives in SE Michigan.  Opportunity missed.  Maybe DACC can get him some time.

Historically Yours,
				James Rice

Message: 4  Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:36:44 -0400 (EDT)  From: wrsssatty at aol.com
Subject: Why no history presentation at the convention?
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org

	  One of my favorite events at conventions past has been the history presentations.  The following come to mind:  David E. Davis, Jr. at the Lexington convention (besides being an interesting figure in the world of automobile enthusiast press, he worked for Campbell-Ewald, Chevy's long time ad agency with much responsibility and input for Corvair print ads); the guy who went on the Daring the Darien drive to Panama who spoke at the Daytona convention AND that convention also included Smokey Yunick, who, besides his general experience with racing had involvement with Chevy and was groomed by Chevy to be an expert witness in some of the Corvair product liability lawsuits; the showing at the Iowa convention of several Corvair TV ads never again seen since broadcast; former assembly line workers from the Tonawanda engine plant at the Buffalo convention; the retired engineer who was a protege of Frank Winchell and spoke at the Detroit area convention (Sterling Heights?) a few years back, etc.  In the case of the Iowa convention, I believe the history presentation was put together at the last minute.  I recall not having planned on attending that convention but when I learned, a few days in advance, of the inclusion of the history presentation I booked a flight and went out for a couple of days just to see those old Corvair TV commercials.  It was worth it to me.  Look back at the above list and consider how many of those men have since died.  Thanks to the efforts of convention planners who included them in the program we now have their recollections recorded for posterity.

So, my question, since it appeared that there was no history presentation at this convention, why not?  The convention took place in the home state of the U.S. auto industry.  Surely there was someone not too far from the convention site who had something to do with engineering, building or marketing the Corvair who would have been glad to reminisce with us.  I would encourage those planning future conventions to make an effort to include a worthwhile history presentation.

 Bill Stanley