<VV> How about the cooling fans from these engines?

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Jul 30 10:17:57 EDT 2013

Warren LeVeque shared the details of his pretty successful racing set up on Corvair forum a few years back.
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=288
"It was at this time that I experimented with fanless cooling by running huge 8” ducts from the headlights directly to the cylinder heads. I performed a complete open manometer tube test to find 2” of water pressure at the headlights. This system worked if speeds were at least 60 mph. Multiple slow pace laps doomed the system, although I was able to pass people on the straights that I couldn’t pass before. I compromised with ducting from the Stinger flaps (.5’ H20) directly to the full sized ½ (underdrive) speed fan. The original fan had max output at 4500rpm and went down from there. The reduced speed brought max output up to the necessary 7500 rpm operating range. This worked great in reducing fan belt acceleration and horsepower draw, and belt retention was nearly flawless. "

2 inches of water pressure is about the best I can get at 60 mph / 5280 feet per minute.
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/images/AirVelocity-cht_pic2.gif
The units on the X axis are inches of water

Dan T

But if the stock cooling system is so good, why do I keep hearing of
deep seats and dropped seats and...

cheers
Jay