<VV> Turbo question

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 03:42:11 EDT 2014

Joe,

Turbo engines' maintenance is similar to other engines but  there are other
issues.  Yes, if the turbo itself and/or carb needs to be  rebuilt, it is
an additional expense but not too bad depending on how you define
"expensive."  They are far simpler than most any other turbo.

Yes, there is a turbo lag and the engine performs like an 80  hp until the
boost kicks in.  However, you probably won't get the great gas  mileage of
the 80 HP because the advance/retard characteristics of the turbo
distributor are different.  On this point, make sure it has  the turbo distributor.
Superficially, it looks the same but is very  different from a non turbo
dist. They can be hard to find and expensive to  buy.

While you are checking the numbers on the dist, make sure the  car was an
original turbo.  There should be a scooped out section in the
right/rear/bottom where the exhaust pipe exits.  Only turbo cars have  this.  However, I
have seen the "turbo scoop" created on non turbo  cars.  Check the metal tag
in the engine compartment to verify turbo  originality.  The VIN tells you
it is a Corsa but the body tag in the  engine compartment tells you if it is
an original turbo car or a 140.  You  may want to check numbers to verify
that you have the proper turbo and carb for  a 65 as well.  I have seen
Frankenstein setups.  Properly set up, they  can run fine but it depends on what
value you place on originality.  If the  parts need to be rebuilt, the
rebuilder may work with you swapping proper parts  for whatever you may have.  You
can find the numbers to check in a number  of Corvair publications.

Under boost, the exhaust runs very hot, so expect to do  exhaust work more
often if you have a lead foot.  If you rarely send it  into boost, its not
much different than the other cars.  The exhaust parts  on the turbo engine
are very different from others.

Like anything else, the "pretty stuff" can cost you and a  missing or
dented heat shield, air cleaner or a rusted intake manifold can  be an added
expense.

At this point, you probably know the usual stuff to check  whatever model
or year the car is.

I am sure others will add to this.

Good luck,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 4/6/2014 8:51:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  8