<VV> other thoughts - off topic

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Apr 8 22:39:07 EDT 2014

On 4/8/2014 4:29 AM, J. R. Read wrote:
> Speaking of "crashes", what are folks doing who (like me) use XP.
> Today, Microsoft no longer supports it and I don't know how to react
> to that.
>
> Later, JR
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Maechtlen"
> <jaysplace at laserpubs.com>

I picked up a newer computer a couple of years ago with Win 7. And I
replaced my laptop when it hit the 10-year mark. My new (as of 3 years
ago) laptop runs Win 7 also.
As to what I recommend - that depends on what you need.
And, it depends on what you're willing to spend in time and money.
For minimal Windows use, you might install Linux on the old dog, to be
pretty much immune to viruses. It will do email and surf the web just
fine, as far as I know.

Then you could use a free software like Virtualbox to let you run an
oldish version of Windows (like XP, or even Win 2k) for programs that
you really want and which need Windows.
There are ways to run a lot of Windows programs under Linux, but I
haven't messed with that.

I have a number of Win 2k Virtual Machines (Virtualbox VMs) and one XP
VM with various software running on them - like the software for my
scanner that doesn't run on anything newer than XP..

One thing about a VM - you can just keep a backup copy. If the one
you're running gets infected too badly, just delete it, make a copy of
the backup, and run it.

--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans

---