<VV> Origin of the Fitch Phoenix

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Tue May 13 08:15:05 EDT 2014

John Fitch commissioned Frank Risner of Intermechanica in
Italy to build the Phoenix prototype and then a series of
500 total units after that. The first and only one built
started off life as a 1965 Corsa coupe. Simple reason? It
was the only Corvair available to them in Italy at the
time of construction. It had the base 140 engine and
optional 4-speed transmission.

Once completed and shipped back to the USA the Phoenix
suffered a dropped valve seat just before it was to be
unveiled in New York City at Ambercombie and Fitch (no
relation). A late night thrash at the Fitch Works in Falls
Village, CT swapped out the ailing powertrain with the
only other one available to John on short notice: his
personal demo Sprint - the white and blue 1966 Corsa
coupe. John told me they just swapped out the entire
powertrain in the interest of time. That is how the
Phoenix ended up with a 1966 engine and a Saginaw 4-speed.

After the original Phoenix engine was repaired the guys at
the shop just put the 1965 powertrain back in the '66
Sprint. That is the engine that is still in the car as it
sits on display at the Saratoga Auto Museum in Saratoga
Springs, NY.

When John Fitch was still alive I offered to trade engines
with him giving him the correct original Phoenix engine in
exchange for the correct original Sprint engine. We never
made the swap.

I could also tell you about the time that John offered to
sell me the Phoenix for $10,000. That was back in 1979 and
ten grand was so far out of my price range that I had to
say no. Talk about a missed opportunity? - Pete Koehler