<VV> Calif. AAA.... 200 mile tow is NOT standard!

Charlie chaz at properproper.com
Tue Apr 7 18:45:04 EDT 2015

The 200 mile tow is NOT standard!

The standard tow is up to 7 miles (nearest dealer), the next step up is 100
miles (about $100/year), and 200 miles is more (not sure how much more$$?)

****
Even more important is that anything over the basic 7-mile tow is NOT
AVAILABLE for 90 days after signing up!
****

I found out the hard way with GEICO, since apparently the "road service"
with most insurance companies is to tow to the nearest dealership, or 5-7
miles max.

I found that out when I was 13 miles from home and 18 miles from a dealer.
The tow truck driver tried to get another $130 (13 x $10/mile over 5 miles.)

I had him tow me to the top of a 10 mile hill where I would coast downhill
and save $100, now only 3 miles from home, where a friend and I fixed the
"GRD" bolt in the alternator that shorted out the entire car!

The driver didn't want to be responsible for that, so he towed me down,
gratis...

So, I went to AAA and switched over since GEICO has no "extended tow"
available, and I saved enough to PAY for the AAA road service package (which
does NOT start 100 mile tows for another 80 days!)

Hope this helps shed some light on this subject that I hope you never need!

Charlie