<VV> 3-speed reminder

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 16:07:46 EDT 2015

Yep, double clutching gets second nature really quick when you drive one
everyday.

I drove a 65 Bel-Air 6 cyl (230) three on the tree for about a year (1979).
It had spent its earlier years in Northern Virginia traffic and the
synchros were missing from second gear, and of course, never there in
first. So, once going, you could only find third if you got lost! Learned
double clutching quickly. And of course, no one wanted to borrow the car!

The 66 Biscayne wagon was so much more sophisticated with its all syncho
three on the tree and 283 (74 to 78). Replaced the Bel-Air with the Buick
Estate Wagon, 455 and yep, three on the tree! Fomoco RAT top loader Factory
Equiped.

Now I use double clutching to help the aging syncros in my 84 F-150 balsa
wood four speed.

But I digress, this was about Corvairs.

Frank DuVal

Original email: