<VV> How to connect electric chokes?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Sep 25 13:29:08 EDT 2015

John - Logically, you would want the chokes to be closed when cold, then to
 receive power at cold engine start, then, as the coils warm up with e
lectricity,  to open the choke plate, letting the engine return to a regular
idle. So you  want to supply the chokes with an ignition switched 12 Volt
supply. The coil may  or may not have that, depending on your wiring. The wire at
the coil is probably  doing all it can to supply your ignition and shouldn't
be tapped to feed those  chokes. In the best of worlds, another ignition
switched 12 volt feed from  the fuse box would work, but that would be a lot
of work. How about adding a  relay in the engine compartment which would
lesson the electrical load on the  ignition system and supply a straight 12 volt
feed from the battery to the  chokes. You would have to find out what kind
of electrical load the chokes would  take and make sure the relay would
carry that. Depending on the relay, the  closing circuit should take a lot less
power than the choke coils. You could  pull that switching circuit off the
firewall terminal where the coil resistance  feed lives. I am sure you will
get other suggestions for the feed.

- Seth Emerson

In a message dated 9/25/2015 9:36:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,