<VV> '65 Tele Sport Steering Wheel

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 00:30:02 EST 2016

No special trick on the Sport Wheel option (A couple if the wood wheel is
on a telescoping column) I will assume it is an early 65. Just use a regular
 2-bolt puller. On the early 65, the steering wheel is fixed in  place,
relative to the dash, since the shaft is solid, all the way to  the steering
box. The outer column can be adjusted to take out that extra gap.  After you
are done re-installing the turn signal stalk (probably after replacing  the
turn signal actuator casting) Bolt the wheel back on. There are two  big
vertical bolts under the edge of the dash. Loosen them a bit. Then,  down at the
firewall, there is a clamp around the column. The clamp is part of  the
3-bolt flange that retains the column to the firewall. Loosen the clamp. No
need to loosen the three bolts into the firewall. At this point, the column
outer jacket should be able to move up toward the wheel, removing the gap. It
 will probably resist, be careful! I suggest you leave a little gap, since
the stamped steel outer jackets on the Sport Wheel hub often have some
run-out.  If it contacts the column outer "bell" it will squeak something awful
when you  turn the wheel! I can personally testify to this. When you have
the gap you want  and the clearance you need, just tighten up the clamp at the
firewall and the  two bolts under the dash.

If there is no clamp at the firewall and the 3-bolt flange seems to be spot
 welded to the outer diameter of the column - you have a late 65 (same as
66)  column, and the above method will not work. The relative location  of
the column bell is determined by the space between the seating snap ring at
the top of the column and the small clamp at the spring at the bottom of the
column. I would probably remove the column to make this adjustment.

- Seth

In a message dated 12/4/2016 9:04:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,