<VV> Blocked brake hose

Seth Emerson sethracer at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 12:35:36 EDT 2017

Way to go, Hugo!  Sometimes, when you are working on these old cars, you wonder "What was going through the mind of the engineer, example, to hide the bolts?"  On the hoses, as the cars pass 50 years, it pays dividends to explore further - beyond outside looks. Hoses are relatively cheap (sorry about your shipping costs) as a replacement. Be sure to examine the steel tubes carefully. They can rust from the inside out. The final check will be the hard-harder brake test. It may sound counter-intuitive, but after you are finished, with the wheels on and brakes bled, you sit in the drivers seat and push the brake pedal really hard, like a truck had just pulled out in front of you. Then push harder, as hard as your leg can push, just for a moment. This serves as a final test of whether or not you can trust the brakes in a similar situation, when that stupid truck really does pull out in front of you. The instant adrenaline will power your leg to amazing feats. This "hard-harder" brake test is routinely performed at Autocross events, as a verification of competitors brakes, before participation. In many years of sitting in peoples cars and performing this test, I have personally blown out two brake systems. Both competitors fixed their cars and competed in the events, and both thanked me for showing them the problem. Better to find the problem there, than in front of an on-coming truck. Oh, and remember to clean up that brake fluid, it will eat up paint!

Seth Emerson