<VV> Hot

Jim Simpson simpson661 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:51:54 EDT 2018

Not to be argumentative, but while there may not be any published data on
Chevrolet doing temperature and other durability related testing on the 140
engines, I'd be really surprised if they didn't perform those tests.  They
certainly did the dynamometer testing to determine HP, torque, fuel
consumption, ignition timing settings, etc.  They almost certainly recorded
engine temps during those tests.  Chevrolet normally does pretty extensive
road testing, including hot weather/desert runs for any new design.  But,
like you, I haven't seen any published data about how the engine performed
installed in a car.  Maybe it's buried somewhere in the Chevrolet archives.

That said, the first thing I'd check would be the cylinder head temp
switch.  As others have pointed out, they've been known to trigger at lower
temperatures as they age.  (I ran into the same thing with a temp switch on
one of Chevy in-line, water-cooled sixes years ago.  Warning light caused
by a bad switch.)

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair