<VV> Warning buzzer or flashing light for broken Fan belts?

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Tue Jul 24 02:08:48 EDT 2018

Hi guys ~

My first fan belt issue in quite a while ...

I have a Corsa dash ion a Monza and no ID10T light, so I ran an LED off the
alternator output, which would (and did) go out if the she tosses a belt.

I had driven her about 240 miles yesterday at freeway speeds and she was
doing fine.

Last night, I thought the engine was running even smoother than normal, and
before I noticed the light was off, I thought maybe it was because the fan
belt broke so, looking at the light, it was off, and I pulled over to check
it.

Sure enough - the belt was torn up.

The engine knocked for about 5 -10 seconds (which it never does otherwise)
and I changed it in the dark.

I don't know how hot she got, but is there a correlation between the time it
knocks and damage done?

I was about 100 miles from home at night, and she started fine and behaved
OK at 70 MPH for the trip home.

I want to get a warning buzzer or flashing light so I notice sooner next
time, any suggestions?

Charles Lee