<VV> vehicle values, Corvair or otherwise

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 04:22:04 EST 2019

All in all, this was a very strange auction. I am rebuilding a C1
Corvette, so was interested in how those went. Most didn't sell, or sold
for silly low prices, sometimes half the estimate, $40-$50 ish. What
with a 1962 Spyder selling for $30,000 and a nice C1 going for $38,000,
that is distinctly odd. Then we get to Friday, when C1s started fetching
crazy prices - $150k, $250k, $300k, even one that went unsold with a bid
of $500k, but that was an original car with 3,000 miles on it - it was
being sold as a museum piece and a 'part of history', not for driving.
I also have a 1960 Impala convertible, and prices on those (or similar)
were mostly sensible, except for a saloon that sold for under $10k. But
on Friday it all went crazy again; there were two late '50s
convertibles, one Buick and one Olds, both admittedly show winners, that
made over quarter of a million each.
Best buy must have been a stretch limo with an impressive rainbow wrap
that went for $2,200 (yes two thousand two hundred!).