<VV> Charging problem

David Heath dheath at vanceandhines.com
Tue Jan 15 10:47:29 EST 2019

I had a similar problem with my '65 a few years ago.  I had a couple spare
alternators and a few more spare regulators (both the stock style and also
all-electronic).  I swapped out all sorts of combinations - sometimes it
would work and sometimes it would not.  Sometimes it would be over-voltage
and sometimes no-charge.  Never anything consistent.  Finally, after much
head scratching, I figured that the feedback signals were not actually
getting to the regulator reliably.  I checked the connectors going to the
regulator and the copper was all very dark brown and ugly.  I clipped a
wire and stripped back a little.  Still ugly.  I think I had to cut about 1
to 1.5" off the end of each wire before I got to good copper.  I put new
terminals on the ends and reinstalled.  Everything has worked fine since.
I think moisture is wicked down the copper strands and slowly corrodes the
wire ends.

David Heath
Cypress, CA
'65 Coupe 140/4

--
*

 <https://vanceandhines.com> <https://fuelpak.vanceandhines.com>
<https://www.facebook.com/vanceandhines>
<https://twitter.com/vanceandhines>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/vanceandhines>
<https://www.instagram.com/vanceandhines/>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/vance-and-hines/>**

Disclaimer: The
information contained in this transmission, including any attachments, may
contain confidential information of Vance & Hines. This transmission is
intended only for the use of the addressee(s) listed above. Unauthorized
review, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error or have reason to believe you are not authorized to receive it,
please notify the sender by return email and promptly delete the
transmission.*