<VV> SILICONE BRAKE FLUID my 2 cents (long)

N2VZD TIM n2vzd at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 12:47:03 EST 2019

I bought my first gallon in the early 70's when I Restored? a 64 Spyder convert from a junker. Only way I would put in a vehicle would be after FULL rebuild/replacement of everything in the brake system. All cars that I have worked on from scratch have had this done to them , plus dual master cylinder conversion. I sat thru a seminar in the middle 70's about brake tubing /brake system failures. One thing that stuck in my mind was how brake tubing rusts from the inside. Especially after setting undisturbed several years, The inherent charismatics of DOT3 holding moisture causes teardrop shaped drops to settle against the tubing wall . Not moving for a while causes that drop to act like drill. They had samples of tubing showing that type of damage.  The garage replaces a LOT of tubing , gas and brake that is as new as 3 years or less. So I believe in all new including dual master cylinder and silicone fluid. Way back when , you had to buy in gallons from aircraft supply. Post office vehicles all have silicone fluid. I know they do not suggest it in ABS systems now. But so far no Corvairs with ABS here.This MY background on silicone fluid.Regards, Tim Colson    C N Y C C   www.cnycorvair.com