<VV> Coil voltage

Ernie Sanders epssax at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 08:51:09 EDT 2019

I bought a totally restored 66 convertible years ago.  Everything had been renewed, replaced, or rebuilt.  The car had a “stumble”.  Took me several years to solve it.  I had several other cars and didn’t focus on this problem until I got tired of the stumble.
I drove the car into a dark barn, shut the door and looked at the ignition.  The coil had electrical leaks in several places.  I replaced the newish coil with a new Clark’s coil.  Also discovered the coil wire(+) had an intermittent break.  I replaced the wire with a new one.
I took the car for a test drive and got a big surprise.  After a mile the car started losing power and wouldn’t accelerate.  Once speed was attained I thought all was ok.  Well it started running worse and I headed back home.  It took me 30 minutes to get back(3 Miles). Car would NOT accelerate.
I replaced the new coil with another new Clark’s coil.  To my surprise the new coil was just as bad.  I bought two new coils on EBay very cheap and they were NOS Chrysler 12 volt coils.  I bought a ceramic resistor wire and wired it in the circuit for running voltage and mounted the resistor and coil on the rear bulkhead.
That 66 ‘vert never stumbled again!  Those Clark coils were defective and broke down under heat!  That is why I mounted the coil and resistor on the rear bulkhead.  I don’t blame Clark’s as I am sure both coils tested perfectly on the bench.  Hey, I’m not that smart, btw.  I got those ideas from members on this forum!
Ernie in Louisville