<VV> Hood and trunk lettering

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Thu Nov 28 21:38:08 EST 2019

Two possibilities - either somebody swapped hood lids or filled in the holes.

Note that the very early 1964 lids had push-in letters so there were no access holes in the braces.

You still haven’t told us the build date of your car - look at the fisher body tag on the rear frame rail in the engine compartment.  There should be a three digit code (two numbers and one letter) in the upper left corner of the tag.  The numbers indicate the month and the letter indicates the week when Fisher built the body.  So for example, 09C means the third week of September (which for a 1964 model would’ve been 1963).  The VIN does not provide the build date.

Harmonic Balancers were only installed on the high performance (110/150 HP) engines - not on 95HP.  You didn’t tell us which engine you have.  However, lots of parts may have been switched or replaced after 55 years.

Bill

> On Nov 28, 2019, at 9:20 PM, Hugo Miller via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

No holes anywhere on mine. Not even any holes in the brace piece (in the front of the front trunk) to access the holes. I'm beginning to wonder whether somebody has swapped the VIN? It has no damper on the engine, but it has the transverse spring on the back. It has the later front 'grille' emblem & side emblems, so who knows?
Frankly I don't much care - it's a Nevada or Arizona car and, apart from a couple of pin holes in the front floor pans, there is no rust on it anywhere, and that is what counts.