<VV> I'm thinking maybe the starter motor...

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Aug 6 22:08:50 EDT 2020

Hugo:"But why - and indeed how - would a winding 'fail' when hot?"

Response: It is not a winding, but the bushings that change dimension
when hot. They wore while cold, now the worn bushing is changing shape
due to heat, and capturing the armature shaft at a different place than
when new. Replace the bushings. And the brushes while you are in there.

Now, it could be a bad connection that increases resistance with heat
also....  aka Chuck's solenoid contacts idea, but any connection in the
starter might be the culprit. Heating of the connection should be
obvious when it is taken apart.

Frank DuVal