<VV> I'm thinking maybe the starter motor...

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 05:43:52 EDT 2020

I cannot buy your theory about bushings. If they are going to do
anything it will be to expand. And if you imagine the torque that a
starter for a commercial diesel engine puts out, it wil not be deterred
by a tight bushing here or there - it will just tear them out of the
casing and keep spinning.
Definitely an electrical fault on the ones I have experienced. Dirty
solenoid contacts sounds just about plausible - definitely increased
resistance somewhere.