<VV> Synthetic oil, hot starter and DOT 5

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 14:17:34 EDT 2020

I have used only synthetic oil for at least 20 years now.  I also heard the leaky seals warning, but as a Corvair owner I knew all about leaky seals when my first Corvair passed the 50K mark.  My reasoning was that it was always best to protect the engine wear surfaces no matter how much seals leaked.  After I replaced my first set of push rod "O" rings with Viton ones I was never worried about leaky seals again.  For our older water pumpers and my Corvairs I have been using Mobil 1 "High Mileage" with its higher levels of zinc compound for years (and some Valvoline).  I just check the specs on line to see if the zinc compound level has dropped.
In reference to hot starters I've learned to check the area around a slow starter to see if a leaky heater hose and/or engine shroud is cooking it.  The worn parts Chuck and Frank listed are even more likely to be a problem if engine hot air is blowing on them.
As far as DOT 5 brake fluid is concerned I have been using it for decades and I have only had a problem one time when I paid a Corvair shop to do brake work.  The pedal was spongy when I got it back, but after I bled it again myself being careful not to shake the bottle--air bubbles seem to take longer to disappear with DOT 5--I had a firm peddle.  If you don't drive frequently it's the only brake fluid I'd recommend.
Bob Hall
Message: 2Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 20:35:05 -0400