<VV> Maybe the starter.

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Aug 8 17:22:35 EDT 2020

On 8/8/2020 12:16 AM, H Smith via VirtualVairs wrote:
> I am surprised that more of you haven’t experienced the worn bushings and dragging starter syndrome.

I'm not surprised. Most of the people I knew who had the issues just
replaced the starter and went on.  Most wouldn't bother to pull the
starter apart to see what caused the troubles.  Or, they just lived with
it, blaming the troubles on this or that or the other.

Myself, I'm cheap.  I chose to fix the starter rather than buy another.
I also used to buy up used starters for cheap at shows when I'd spot one
here or there, so I have parts on hand. And yeah as mentioned I've seen
starters that showed obvious contact between pole pieces and the
armature and they invariably had loose/worn bushings.

My '60 has a fresh starter on it that I just went through, clean and
lube since it was new old stock, and swapped out the nose (the '60 model
cars used a different starter than the rest) and it cranks the same no
matter what temperature the engine happens to be, hot or cold.

This does NOT address the struggling cranking of an engine that's been
overheated and still hot.

That's hot as in too damned hot.

tony..

--