<VV> Seats

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Mon Aug 10 16:15:18 EDT 2020

I will repeat what I said earlier:

“ Shoulder harnesses help to restrain the upper body from lunging forward, but they aren’t just tacked onto some random part of the car, but rather part of a comprehensive, engineered, and tested system to ensure they perform the desired function.”

Has anybody performed crash safety tests on Corvair with Chrysler Sebring seats w/shoulder belts?  Frankly, I doubt it - In which case we have no data on how well they perform - whether the seats remain anchored, belts work as designed, etc.

I have long maintained that in some ways, the addition of numerous safety features to automobiles have lulled drivers to becoming less engaged in the driving process, leading to increased risk-taking, becoming over confident in their safety devices protecting them from their behavior.

Whether this is true for modern cars or not, I will leave open to debate.  However, to expect modern safety devices to produce the same results in older cars that were not engineered for, and tested with such devices is certainly a foolish prospect - made even worse if it lulls the driver into an even greater false sense of security.

Bill