<VV> I'm thinking maybe the starter motor...

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Wed Aug 12 01:19:17 EDT 2020

On 8/6/2020 3:41 PM, Joel McGregor via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Jim is correct.  Worn bushings will really make a starter weak.  I've never seen any worn enough to make the armature drag though.

I have. Not a Corvair, but a stern drive boat - we were jumping the boat
with an extra battery to get it to start.

I finally pulled the starter, and there were clearly drag marks on the
armature where it was dragging against the field poles.

I wound a strip of beer can aluminum into the bushing, greased it up,
and it worked great!

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal