<VV> Safety

Seth Emerson sethracer at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 16:07:03 EDT 2020

Reference - This spin of the conversation from adding a bit of safety to your old car, into new car irresponsible driving. This may be interesting but it has all ignored the point of increasing your own safety - not the other drivers. It is impossible to fully protect yourself from the stupidity of others. And yes, you can limit your own risk by driving more safely.  Let's talk about when an idiot goes through the stop sign and hits you as you motor along safely at 25 MPH, or someone in the left lane that squeezes/side swipes into you so you hit a parked car. Unless you are actually psychic, it can happen so quick your current action may have no effect.  All you have now is your personal protection. At that point of contact, would you rather have the original seat belt that GM put in your Corvair in 1965, or a three point harness designed and engineered to be added to a 60's car using the same basic design structure that GM used in 1966 and on.  Your call!
A few other observances:
1) If you think you will drive more carefully without a harness installed, go remove your seat belts.
2) If you think "You" will actually drive more aggressively on the street if you have more protection - you are an idiot!
As Bob says - Your mileage may vary.
-Seth Emerson