<VV> 5-speed transmission

Charles Sadek Chsadek at comcast.net
Wed Aug 19 15:59:17 EDT 2020

If I may, the T5 NWC (Non World Class) conversion Kent speaks of, seems to
work well, now that several folks have contributed to correcting
deficiencies which arose upon use of the original conversion. Anyone
interested in this topic should peruse the long thread on the Corvair Center
Forum where just about everything one could ask is addressed.

If someone wants to do this now, replacing the transmission portion with a
T5 WC (World Class),it probably could be successful. This would also allow
the retention of the suspension-mounting stock differential. Remember, on a
LM Corvair, the rear axles serve as a lateral control arms.

Regarding the Subaru 5 spd transaxle, like the Porsche transaxles, the case
does not have mounting points for the suspension pickups. This means a
cradle must be built, lateral control arms constructed for use with it. The
cradle must attach to the Uni-body "frame rails"  and to that cradle or
support, lateral control arms go to the outer axle hubs, trailing arms if
used, etc. In the stock LM Corvair, the front of the transmission is the
front drivetrain assy mount. I haven't looked into it, but I don't think the
Subie case is constructed to bear the drivetrain forces.  Furthermore, as
Cliff points out, axles must be fabricated to fit the transaxle (inner end)
and the outer end of either a U-Joint affair to fit the stock axle stub or a
more modern CV stub axle.

The shift linkage is probably the most straightforward affair. I haven't
looked into whether the shift pattern in the car should be reversed or not
(Subaru transaxle is facing backwards compared to the Subaru stock
location).

If I missed something, someone will chime in.

Chuck S