<VV> LH lug nuts

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 21:16:19 EDT 2020

That's why I prefer to tighten them by feel rather than use a torque
wrench - I reckon I can tell whether a nut is stiff on the threads,
whereas a torque wrench cannot. At any rate, I've never yet lost a wheel
or had a lug nut come loose.
And that is the problem - practically everybody I know in England
thinks that if they fit the lug nuts dry, they will stand less chance of
coming loose. So if they use a torque wrench, quite a bit of the effort
will be absorbed by the friction on the threads instead of stretching
the stud so it acts like a spring clamping everything together (not
beyond its elastic limit, obviously). And then they can't figure out why
their wheels have come loose.
And yet, I have watched tire fitters at truck stops in the United
States fit a wheel to a truck with an air gun, let the jack down and out
they drive. I once asked a fitter what torque the gun was set to - he
shrugged and said "120 psi"! And yet truck wheels in the States don't
seem to fall off, which I find surprising if that is how they fit them.