<VV> U-joint torque

Seth Emerson sethracer at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 22:52:51 EST 2020

Whenever I am faced with a bolt - or nut - that has an unknown torque requirement, I defer to the SAE recommendations for that exact thread and fastener grade. In this case a grade 8 - You are using the proper Grade 8 fasteners here, right? Anyway, when needing the info, I just do a Google search. Here is the value for your 1/4-20 bolt with a Grade 8 fastener. (9 Ft. lbs.) The 65 corvair suffers from a problem that does not plague the later ones. The valve cover bolt and the U-joint bolt are identical - except that the U-joint bolt is a Grade 8 and the valve-cover bolt is a grade "nothing". (Actually a Grade 2) If you torque a grade nothing fastener to a grade 8 torque, it may break off during that process. If you torque a Grade 8 to the Grade Nothing torque - or, sometimes to a Grade 5 torque, it might easily back off and fall out. Remember "Sly and the Family Stone" when it comes to bolts. "Different strokes, for different folks!"
-Seth