<VV> Restoration - DIY is $atisfying

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Aug 8 18:13:21 EDT 2010

At 05:39 PM 8/8/2010, vair140 at aol.com wrote:

>Here's my take on it, I know not everyone can do everything on their
>vehicles.  When "I" restored mine I new that I could not do the body
>and paint work, I did the interior work (except the headliner)

Last time a headliner got done here was the evening before the Ft
Monroe Virginia 'Vair Fair...  we removed the somewhat
ratty-destitching-itself original, used it as a pattern on a big
sheet of light blue upholstery vinyl, stitched it all up and
installed it back in the car the night before the show...

...the headliner is all a single piece, carefully measured out,
taking into account the extra material for the rods, being simple
folds in the material sewn together.   It fit nicely, still in the
car now and holding up quite well, and is likely much less likely to
unravel than the original... used upholstery threat to stitch it all
together.   You could probably yank on it with a fist-grip and it
won't come out of the car.

Yes, it was very satisfying to have done it at the last minute and
make it work out the way it did, from scratch, from a single uncut
sheet of material from "Joanne Fabrics" at the mall.

tony..