<VV> Dual M/C failures

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sun Aug 15 17:08:21 EDT 2010

Smitty Says;   I am not picking on anyone here but as one who has dozens of rear bearing failures due to the tongue weight of my camper I have to say this.  Anybody who drives an Early rear bearing failure to the point it unscrews from under the car has a serious auditory problem or they are dense.  In my 45 years of driving Earlies I have never had one fail that wasn't making a grinding or rumbling or squealing noise long before it locked up.  If you keep on driving it after that starts you have a more serious problem than brake failure along with bearing failure.  Mechanical things go"bump" because they need attention.
On a somewhat related note my wife's Chevette lost it's front brakes one time and it was left with the rears.  Pedal height was not abnormal but it would squall the rear tires for a block when trying to stop any other than gently.  I'm not likely to ever put a dual on but if I did I would expect either failure to be able to lock up the remaining brakes.