<VV> Headlight Upgrade

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 08:23:03 EDT 2010

 Back then, DOT headlight standards were atrocious. In large part, due to blatant protectionism. E code headlights were a vastly superior standard, but the Fed DOT decided we needed a different standard, meaning imports needed to be retrofitted with our lousy headlights.

Fortunately, we're past that, and today's DOT headlight standards are sufficiently close to E code that they'll pass muster. It also means standard headlights here have come a LOOONG way since the 80s. There are still some cars out there with poor headlights, but 30 years ago nearly every car had poor headlights.

If someone is flashing you on low beam, your headlights may not be aimed properly. Lower them a tad, and this should solve that problem. I had the same issue with my Corvair with Cibie E codes, and a tweak with a screwdriver fixed that.

So, put in them there 'retina rapers' and SEE!

John Roberts