<VV> Getting rid of sterring lash.

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Tue Aug 31 14:19:37 EDT 2010

I've been following the thread about adjusting steering.  I am having a problem with lash on my car.  I first undid the Pittman arm;adjusted the big and lock nut to get good feel while turning and then worked on the lash. I've just about turned the lash adjuster screw all the way in but still have slop in the wheel.
I've been considering a rebuilt box but I'm not sure just what wears enough to cause the adjusting screw to go almost all the way in.  Is it the Pittman shaft and gear or the worm and nut assembly.  I ask because the description of a rebuilt box in Clark's catalog doesn't seem to cover any of these items.