<VV> Missing FC's HELP!!!!!

David Newell chevrobilia at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 22:10:18 EST 2017

Hi Rick,
Wow, thanks for all of your hard work and dedication. Not many folks care about the data like we do.

Actually it's all pretty simple. If we would have published the Bloomfield CKD plant figures earlier, we  would have prevented a lot of confusion.

The car model production figures and their totals that we published years ago were prepared in the '60s by Chevrolet and are actually OK. They include the Bloomfield numbers. Chevrolet counted Bloomfield production just as if it was a normal assembly plant like Willow Run.

The assembly plant serial number/production total docs you're using for comparison only include Willow Run, Kansas City, Oakland and Van Nuys. Those docs were meant for use by US Chevy factory reps who had no use for CKD totals. And CKDs had no US serials anyway.

If you take the total of the car model numbers for each year (not including the FC numbers) and deduct the Bloomfield numbers, then they match the WR/KC/OA/VN plant totals. Except for 65 & 66 when Oshawa "built" all Vair CKDs and in that case the numbers match as is. And 68 and 69 are no brainers since there weren't any CKDs in those years.

For example, take 1963:

Add up the six CAR model numbers and they equal 254, 571

Deduct the 1963 Bloomfield Corvair total of 456 and you get 254,115

Then add the WR, OA & VN plant totals (ending serials) and you get 254,115

This works for every year except 1965, 66, 68 and 69:

Take 1965 and add the seven car model numbers = 235,528

There isn't any CKD number to deduct.

Then add up the WR & VN totals = 235,528

We'll publish the Bloomfield numbers and note that they're included in the well worn yearly model production numbers and their totals:

1960: 4,584
1961: 3,000
1962: 1,800
1963: 456
1964: 480
1967: 96

I trust that no one copied with this email will publish the Bloomfield numbers until the May Communique comes out. I worked hard to find them and the credit is all that I get paid :-)

FYI, Canadian production isn't included in any of the above numbers. It was over and above those figures. But the Canadian CKD numbers are included in Canadian Corvair yearly totals.

Thanks again,
Dave