<VV> <WW> Oil Viscosity

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:10:49 EDT 2020

I don't know where the term oil "weight" come from either, but assume it is
rooted all the way back to the earliest crude oil refining process.  It was
essentially simple distillation.  When crude is heated, different components
boil off at different temperatures.  The shortest molecules, starting with
methane, come off first.  Farther down the mix are longer (and heavier)
molecules that make up other petroleum products.  Lubricating oils are
fairly well down toward the bottom, but not quite down with asphalt at the
bottom.  I assume that light/heavy lubricating oil is a finer split within
that separation.  Current oil technology has developed to the point that I'm
not sure how much of this is even relevant.  A can of modern petroleum based
oil is only about half oil, the rest is additives.

Anyone that wants to see an example of where oil "weight" is still used with
classifications of "light", "medium", etc. to indicate viscosity can take a
look here:
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-businesses/industrial/lubricants/products/products/mobil-vactra-oil-heavy-medium
Until SAE came up with the 10, 20, 30, etc. viscosity numbers, this is how
motor oil was classified as well.

Jim Becker