<VV> Safety

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Wed Aug 12 11:39:37 EDT 2020

100% agreement!   That was my point all along!!  It is my belief that, while good intentioned, the addition of so many safety features to modern autos has resulted in drivers who are over reliant on these devices and therefore at greater risk for distraction and unable to avoid or correct behavior resulting in accidents.

I’m not saying that safety features (lap, shoulder harnesses, impact absorbing features, etc. are not useful, but when people get “too comfortable” because of these devices and start taking risks, then the benefits are diminished.

I know that when I drive my 50 year old cars I’d better be much more alert and engaged in the driving process as I am the main safety device.

Bill